29 January 2010

travel day...

when uncle sugar and i met, we were babies. but, man, did we have dreams.

that boy promised me the world, and i believed him. he said we'd travel it. he said i'd love it. he just knew it. because a girl like me who fell in love so easily with wind chimes and tiny chess sets and everything else upon which her eyes fell was made to see something besides illinois.




we'd raise our someday babies we weren't even sure we needed everywhere, so that they'd learn to love the world and america's place in it. he said they'd love it. he just knew it.

one of those someday babies would most certainly be named esmé. when she sang, her voice would be distinctly separate from the other children's voices. it would have the best upper register, it would be the sweetest-sounding, the surest, and it would automatically lead the way. her smile would be oddly radiant. her observations not of a smart aleck but that of a truth-lover. she might even wear an enormous-faced wristwatch, its face much too large for her tiny wrist. the first rolex he would buy, in fact, would be hers. he just knew it.




i tell uncle sugar all the time that he's a good man. this irks him to no end.

a good man, he snarls with that deviled grin of his. that's so lame. {i'm censoring him here. because mackin ink is not the place for his saucy language.}




i've got to agree with him, i guess. he's not a good man. we've had our share and maybe even yours, too, of squalor. when he is naughty, there's no one naughtier. but when he's half as good as he can be, there's no one who even comes close. and when he's perfect? well. that is that.

he promised me the world. we've traveled it. i've loved it. those someday babies we weren't entirely sure we even needed? we've three, and it turns out we needed them desperately. they love the world, too. and one is named esmé.

he's right. he's not a good man. he's extraordinary.

crazy for the french rentals from appartement blanc paris, discovered first by a little hamster. so many gorgeous photos on appartement blanc, but the sunlight dancing in her memories made me smile. and if you've never read for esmé -- with love and squalor, you might want to reconsider this. j.d. salinger, january 1919 - january 2010.

26 comments:

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

you have what i wanted, my friend. hold it. cherish it. breath it.

you hit the jackpot.

wow, too much. xx

jules

Melissa de la Fuente said...

wow Karey....this is absolutely the most beautiful thing. You both are extraordinary & how wonderful that you found each other so soon, when you were "babies". Thank you for this hun.....what a beautiful thing to share.
xo
Melis

Kelly said...

email. me. the. picture. :)

xo
kelly

Katie Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brown Button Trading said...

Flip. How do you do it? Every. Single. Time. I hope for half of what you have with uncle sugar. Thank You Ms M. x

Caroline said...

always in awe after your posts.. and i think it is safe to say you're one of my tip top favorite "ah she's so wise" bloggers

now. could you please share the secret to finding an adventure like yours?

Shannon said...

Beautiful. Your words encourage even the weariest of heart.

Brandi said...

i don't know where to start except to say that my heart is overflowing with beauty from this post. it's wonderful when two dreamers find each other in this world and have enough power to make their dreams a reality, times three.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

what a sweet sweet post!
hope you have a fantastic weekend Karey!

Stash said...

I love love love this post. Happy Friday!

please sir said...

As always a sweet and lovely post...happy weekend!

katie said...

thank you for producing a most heartfelt sigh from me this morning.

Anonymous said...

back of my hand to my forehead, overcome with karey-liciousness.
again and again i will read this. eyes smiling through tears at your hommage to uncle sugar.
love,
katie

wool and misc said...

beautiful. i'm deeply touched. ♥

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

It's so difficult to write words that would make me or you any justice right now... I'm without words. In the best of ways. Thank you.

xoxo,
-maria

Katie Brown said...

I had to delete my previous comment because I noticed a spelling error. call me nit-picky.

2nd try:
i have tears in my eyes right now. it's not just the story, but it's the way you write it.

susan said so said...

it's so spectacular to live that magic! even the squalor has its place in the grand scheme.

breathing deeply,
susan

michel lough said...

your words are magical!

caroline duke said...

love this, mrs. m. love it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joslyn said...

oooh uncle sugar. sigh.

and this:

"he's right. he's not a good man. he's extraordinary."

this might be one of my favorite lines you've ever written.

i'm just saying.

Brandie said...

You give me goosebumps. And leave me speechless. As always.

Kim in the Cove said...

Are these pictures from your house in Jordan? Just being nosey. :) I love them - and the post!!!

krista said...

i'm sort of in love with you and uncle sugar.
and your girlies three.
true story.

la la Lovely said...

I think everyone is swooning over Uncle Sugar. I heart your Modern day fairy tale. And now I'm feeling like I need to get of Illinois, myself ;) xx

Relyn Lawson said...

...





.....






Nope. Still no words good enough for this post.