23 September 2009

hi. it's me again...

for the last five years, i've lived probably-very-far-away-from-you.

i've slept on sand. sunbathed on the red. floated on the dead.




i hired and fired a parade of maids and one very mannish nanny.

i didn't clean. at all. not one toilet. not one tub. not after lillie and grae's weekly what can we make with a bag o' flour plus anything oily and/or wet but mostly oily and - once - honey experiments.

not even after esmé banksy'd an entire room of furniture with one - or closer to twelve - fell swoops of sharpie. red sharpie. there-not-so-happily-ever-after known as the panic-inducing is someone bleeding?! collection. {which, on a side note, was much easier to pass off as a rookie art installation than the who peeped on the couch, esmé?! collection.}




like magic, my messes just - poof! - disappeared.

i didn't cook. at all. or maybe it's more accurate to tell you i didn't cook anything that didn't involve a microwave or marshmallow fluff.

like magic, someone else fed the girlies three and me.

i honestly don't know where my time flew. and although it all made me a bit wiser? it crushes me to tell you that i didn't spend my time wisely.




sure, i found words i thought i'd lost. i created an entire imaginary world with them. but somewhere along the way, i misplaced everything real.

i broke a few important bones i didn't believe would ever heal. they did. surprisingly fast, in fact. way faster than, say, melamine plates or even a broken heart. but that's a story for another time.

i played tennis and got really good. i played wide-eyed american in love with the world, and got even better. because, truly, no matter where i looked, it was as though my lighting was different. everything seemed dipped in glitter. i even dreamed in sequins.




but now? i'm back. probably-not-very-far-away-from-you. i'm home. but terribly homesick. because i miss it. not the maids or the manny or the marshmallow fluff...

no. i miss my magic. my shiny views.

i'm hoping to find it all again here. will you stay with me while i try? say yes...

i am utterly enthralled with this italian dreamboat of a photographer, unsuono, who shot the above stunners. they have absolutely nothing to do with this post, but they have everything to do with my obsessions of late. raw portraits. freckles and wrinkles and amazing eyes and strong hands and soft lips. plus looking at the world differently. is that all? yes. i think that's all. xoxo.

35 comments:

mary s. said...

Big hugs, love. xoxo

SGM said...

I've missed you and your words so much, Karey!

(and p.s., the magic follows you)

Anonymous said...

I'll stay with you for anything. So glad to see you here!!

Kelly said...

words can't cover how happy i am to see you back.

xo
Kelly

Maggie, Dammit said...

YES.

Shannon said...

Magicians always reappear, so glad to see you back!!!
~S
www.speakingofgrace.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Magicians always reappear, so glad to see you back!!!
~S
www.speakingofgrace.blogspot.com

amy turn sharp said...

yahoooooo- this has made my day. xo

Natalie said...

I am so glad to see you back! Yes, I'll stay :)

tangobaby said...

So happy to read your writing again. Welcome back for however long you are here.

;-)

Heather said...

yes, yes, yes - i had just found you before you left - so glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

Yay! We've all been right here, waiting for you.

Joslyn said...

i am so glad you're back...you know i'm with ya foreveh

krista said...

yes yes and yes. maybe i'll even actually comment this time around.

Jenn said...

I've kept you on my blogroll, hoping you'd return. I'm so glad to see you reappear.

Elizabeth said...

Yay!!! (And, yes! Of course!) And have I said, yay? I've so missed your view of the world...

Jessie said...

I just KNEW you'd come back.

;)

Magic and all.

Unknown said...

wow. just yesterday i looked at my blogroll and thought "I wonder when she'll be back?" and today - i see your update.

you have such a magical way with words. i've missed your blog and the stories you shared. i look forward to reading as you continue your journey back on this side of the ocean...

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw a new post from Y-O-U!

Welcome back! Hoping you find magic and share it with us as much as you can....

Here's to chasing dreams!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

seriously, my eyes got all bugged our when I saw you posted!! welcome back. i've missed your blog more than you can know my dear.

Piper of Love said...

I found you!

It's a whole new world :)

<3

caroline duke said...

so happy to see you, karey. please stay with us for a while!

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Of COURSE we will stay with you whilst you find it! Are ya NUTS?! We have been waiting for this moment for what seems like forever! *SIGH* Thank GOD your back and sorry for all of the shouting but, I am just so happy!(no pressure! )
xoxoxo
Melis

Robin said...

Welcome home! I can't imagine your life will be any less magical - no matter where you are. I am jumping up and down if this post means you are writing here again...you have been very missed!!!

Mrs.French said...

gasp...sigh...it's true...and you have taken my breath away like no one else can...your back and I feel like one of my dear friends just came home...I have missed you and your words my dear....xo t

Kelly said...

Yeah! Cheers for your return!

Callie Grayson said...

I am so happy you are back.
wishing you many silver sparkle moon lit nights and blazing orange and red sunsets with pinkish purple sunrises!!
xx
callie

Relyn Lawson said...

Delighted! Delighted and thrilled. Oh, I am so glad you are back. Please say you're back. You are, aren't you?

Since June I checked back again and again just hoping for a little bit of you and the girlies three. Then, today, oh happy day, a comment from my funny, imaginary friend Karey M. YIPPIE! She's back!!

CMN said...

I'm stuffing a box full of sparkles and pixie dust and shiny sequins just for you. And then I'm going to hide it under my bed so that we can all enjoy reading your posts for another season. {happy sigh!} But when you're having a blue day and wondering 'WHERE are those blinkety-blank housemaids?!?', I'll pull out that sparkly, magical box and imagine some of it your way... See that shiny streak in the sky? I put that one up just for you. :-)

mimi charmante said...

and finally, I find you. again. thank goodness. I need your magic - the magic that only you have. truly. inspiring.
you have been so very very missed lovey.
xx

Jill said...

oh k - i'm so glad to see you again...

Di Overton said...

I am totally gob smacked. I just got a link here from my sitemeter and YOU are back. You have made my day and you will be on my Blogroll tout sweet (is that how you spell it)?
WELCOME BACK. Anyway are you anywhere near me without your servants?

Maryellen said...

Thanks for the lovely post. Feeling a bit the same myself (and my family) as we've just returned from a too-short expat adventure in The Netherlands. I'm sure your lovely posts will lift my spirits and add sparkle to my day.

The House That A-M Built said...

See how happy we all are to have you back. You must never go away again. A-M xx

Marnie said...

i just discovered that you are back - I will set out to read all your posts and check up with your doings... great to read your words again